Its convenience and versatility make the microwave a most sought-after cooking gadget today. Though microwaves are frequently used for heating up dishes, they can do much more than that. With the right model, you can boil, bake, grill, and roast a wide variety of food in a microwave.
And, you can find a nice range of options at different price points. Take a look at our top choices to find your best microwave under $100.
Best Microwave Under $100: Top 5 Choices
The Galanz microwave is a fun retro design microwave that adds style and elegance to your kitchen. You can use it in a dorm room, home office or recreational room as per your requirement.
The microwave is available in four different shades with a black rim in the center. You can cook meals or reheat dishes quickly and conveniently with this microwave. The adjustable power level, defrost program, and weight adjustment adds to the functionality of the microwave. The kitchen timer and clock let you set the time for cooking or reheating. The microwave comes with an interior light that provides a clear view of the dish inside.
The Galanz GLCMKA07RDR-07 Microwave Oven has six auto menus – Beverage, frozen dinner, pizza, potato, popcorn, and reheat.
- Easy to cook, reheat and defrost.
- Option to defrost by time or weight.
- LED display that shows cooking time.
- Even cooking of the food with the glass turntable.
- Child safety lock.
- Available in four colors.
- Food takes longer to heat when compared to other microwaves.
- Easy to turn on by accident, so potential fire hazard.
This professionally designed microwave from Black+Decker comes in a contemporary design. Made of high-quality stainless steel, this microwave comes with 10 power levels, a removable glass turntable, and a spacious interior for cooking. The microwave comes with an LED display that shows the time remaining for cooking to finish.
The six pre-programmed functions of the microwave let you cook dishes in a jiffy. You can select between beverage, frozen vegetable, dinner plate, popcorn, pizza and potato. The removable glass turntable lets you remove and wash it in case of spillage. The interior light provides a good view of the dish inside the microwave.
- Cook, reheat and defrost dishes very fast.
- Option to defrost by time or weight.
- Easy to read LED display that shows the cooking time.
- Child safety lock.
- Available in different sizes.
- Loud noise.
- Available in only one shade.
This GE countertop microwave made of high-quality stainless steel is a good choice for kitchens designed in contemporary style. It is available in four different colors – black, stainless steel, white and black stainless steel. The interior of all four colors come in a white finish.
The GE JES1072SHSS microwave has all the features of a normal countertop microwave, like a front panel with all operations and a glass turntable inside for even cooking. The six preset buttons – popcorn, beverage, potato, reheat, auto defrost, and time defrost – let you choose the functions with ease. It is also possible to increase the power level and add 30 seconds at the press of a button.
- Available in four shades – white, black, stainless steel and black stainless steel.
- Available in two sizes that you can select depending on the counter space.
- Easy to cook and defrost with preset buttons.
- Control lockout feature that prevents accidental activation.
- Food does not heat evenly.
- The white interior can be difficult to clean if the food spills over.
The Amazon Basics microwave comes in a black shade and is ideal for kitchens designed in contemporary style. It has all the features of a normal microwave like a front panel, a glass turntable for evenly cooking the dishes and a glass door to view the dish kept inside.
But unlike typical microwaves, the Amazon Basics microwave works with Alexa devices. You can make popcorns, reheat rice, cook potatoes, and even defrost vegetables simply by giving a command to Alexa. All you have to do is press “Ask Alexa” in the front panel and give the preset voice command. The microwave will do the function on its own.
- Option to work it manually and with Alexa. Thus, visually impaired people can use it easily once it is set up.
- Compact design.
- Comes with ten power levels.
- Child lock for safety.
- The echo device needs to be purchased separately.
- This is a small microwave. You can use only small dishes and cups in it.
- Low power wattage leading to longer cooking times.
This is yet another microwave oven that is apt for modern or contemporary style kitchens. Made of high-quality stainless steel, the Farberware classic microwave comes with a black-colored front panel and trim on the front door. The body comes with a stainless steel finish that provides a classic look to it.
Cooking is rather easy and powerful in this classic microwave oven. It has ten power levels that you can use to customize your cooking. Besides, the microwave also has six one-touch cooking programs, including popcorn, potato, pizza, frozen vegetables, beverage and dinner plate. You can defrost by weight or time in this microwave. The 10.6-inch glass turntable can accommodate most standard size plates.
- Easy and powerful cooking.
- Available in three sizes – 0.7 cu ft, 0.9 cu ft, and 1.1 cu ft. (not all sizes under $100)
- 10 power levels for easy customization.
- Six one-touch cooking programs.
- Reheating function leaves something to be desired.
- The interior is quite small. Once a regular popcorn bag inflates, the plate cannot spin.
- Lightweight and somewhat unstable. The oven tends to move a bit when you try to open it with one hand.
Key Factors to Consider in Choosing Your Best Microwave Under $100
Type of oven
Generally, microwave ovens fall into three categories – standard, grill and convection.
If you are using only the basic functions of the microwave like reheating, defrosting, and cooking ready-to-eat food items, then the standard microwave would be a great choice. It is the entry-level microwave for those who are starting to use one.
The grill oven comes with various grilling accessories and can grill food items besides performing a standard oven’s functions. You can cook and grill simultaneously or go for a separate grill as per your choice.
The convection oven offers a wide range of cooking options like heating, roasting, baking, browning and crisping. If you bake cakes or roast chicken quite often, then the convection oven is a great choice. (Check out our top choices for convection microwaves!)
Microwave ovens are available in different sizes ranging from 0.5 cu ft to 1.5 cu ft. You should consider the size of your countertop before finalizing a size. If you are opting for a built-in model, there is less scope for flexibility. The size of the oven should be perfect so that it fits inside the cabin.
Besides this, you should also consider the size of your cooking utensils like plates and pans you generally use while purchasing the oven.
Most microwaves under $100 will be 1 cubic foot or less.
The power capacity of the microwave ranges from 800 to 3000 watts. If you want to prepare a full meal for a large family, you would require an oven with a full-size capacity with a 1000-1600 watt power.
For a medium-sized family, a mid-sized oven with 800-1000 watts of power would be ideal. If the microwave is for a very small family of 1-2, then a power of fewer than 700 watts would suffice. But remember, that lower the power more the time required to cook the food. Figure out how you are most likely to use your microwave to determine what wattage size you need.
Most microwaves under $100 will be 1000 watts or less.
Overall kitchen design
If you want your kitchen to be aesthetically appealing, the microwave purchased should blend with the overall design. If all the other appliances in your kitchen, like the fridge and dishwasher, are of stainless steel finish, you should go for a microwave with the same finish.
If you want to provide a funky look to your kitchen, you can opt for a microwave with a dash of color.
Microwaves are available in different price ranges from less than $100 to more than $250. The higher the price, the more will be the features available in the oven. An oven less than $100 will have basic functions like reheating and defrosting and some preset cooking functions. But a more costly oven will have options to grill, bake and roast dishes.
- Preset operation: Some microwaves come with preset operations for cooking like potatoes, popcorn, pizza, and chicken. You need not set the time and temperature for cooking these dishes. All you have to do is press the button, and the cooking starts automatically.
- Sensor: Microwaves with sensors detect the cooking time and cook food only for the required time. This not only saves energy but also prevents the food from getting overcooked and exploding.
- Child lock: If you have small kids at home, you don’t want them using the oven unsupervised (or perhaps not at all). A Microwave with a child lock facility is the right choice. The child lock is set with the help of a code that prevents your child from exploring the oven.
Microwaves are available in a range of sizes and features to suit the varying requirements of customers. Apart from performing the basic functions of reheating and defrosting, high-end microwaves can also be used for grilling and baking dishes.
If you are seeking the best microwave under $100, you will find many options in standard microwaves that perform the basic functions most often used. And, you can also find options that have special features like preset cooking options and child locks still at value pricing. Apart from this, some microwaves even come with preset cooking operations that let you cook potatoes or bake a pizza. If you are a hardcore baker or want to grill those dishes, you need to go for high-end models with the above functions.
Follow us on Pinterest to keep up with the best tips and tools for your family kitchen!